Sunday 17 July 2016

Gear Review: The North Face Better Than Naked Long Haul Short


I’ve reached the point in my running life where I’m always on the lookout for new shorts.  All of my old faithfuls are slowly disintegrating, and my shorts rotation is diminishing.  Enter Father’s Day, and a new pair of The North Face Better Than Naked Long Haul Shorts (Long Hauls from here).

The Long Hauls consist of an outer short, with a long, tight fitting internal short with FlashDry™, a proprietary TNF material additive which improves moisture management and temperature regulation.  It also helps them dry out really fast as well.

When you first look at the shorts, they look mostly like normal, slightly longer shorts, with a strange, thick black band running around the top.



That unusual looking band is where part of the genius of these shorts lie.  Contained within the band is a series of elasticated, open pockets to expand your on-the-go storage options.  There are 7 of them, the pockets at either end being slightly larger.  The smaller will fit gels, keys, ipods, whilst in the larger I can fit in a Berghaus Vaporlight Hypersmock.  There is also a zipped pocket on the back which is big enough to fit in a 5-inch smartphone of your choice.



If that wasn’t enough, there are also pockets on the liner short - 2 larger pockets on the right leg, 3 smaller pockets on the left.  I’m not entirely sure exactly what I could put in there, as they would be a faff to get to whilst racing and they aren’t particularly deep.




So how do they actually feel on?  They are fantastic.  The FlashDry™ does what it says – keeps everything moisture free, and breathes exceptionally well.  I have worn them for extended periods in hot weather, wet weather or both combined (English Summer!) and have had no chaffing or discomfort whatsoever. 

I have even tried them out fully laden, 10 gels, 1 waterproof, ipod, phone, keys and was very impressed.  Because the pockets are above the hips and where the draw-cord is, they don’t slip down.  The contents are kept firmly in place from the elasticity of the pockets, and don’t bounce.  The gels are easy to access, and I was able to remove/replace the phone without any faffing which was a surprise.

The only downside to the shorts is that because they are so breathable, in cold weather everything gets a bit…cold. 

These shorts are by far the best I own, and have revolutionised my load carrying, and are a perfect companion for packs without any up-front carrying capacity.

Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment