Monday 7 December 2015

Turkey Trot Lead Up

This Sunday, it's time for my annual 80-ish minutes of pain.  My annual road half marathon.  It's about as much as I can take of it, because it is working the thing I am not very good at - maintaining a painful pace for a decent stretch of time.

It's why I run long.  So I don't have to do fast.

I say that, but I do enjoy it.

This year, it's slightly different, as I'm not going to have my standard gel at 10 miles.  I'm experimenting.  This year, it's me + Mountain Fuel vs the Turkey Trot.  There's a lot riding on it too.  A pb of 1:19:something to try and beat, two fast-improving club mates to try and stay in front of, and some justification of my choice to leave gels behind.  Big ask.

I've pegged out my run tonight, 10.4 steady miles (here) and have got the following training for this week:

Tuesday: Couple of miles warm up, 15-18 30 sec reps, 45 sec recovery. (here)

Wednesday:  Club F.A.R.T.S. run.  That's First Alternative Run To Stanley.  About 13 miles or so, in the dark, across fields and through the Bog of Doom.

Thursday: Fun times Pyramid. 2/3/4/5/4/3/2 with 60sec/90sec/120sec/120sec/90sec/60sec recoveries.

Friday: Rest day,

Saturday: Paintballing.  So sprinting, and resting.

Sunday: Race day.

Nutrition strategy:  Follow the Mountain Fuel plan:  Night fuel the night before with warm milk.  2x pieces of toast with a Breakfast Fuel smoothie.  Sip an Extreme Energy Fuel on the way to the race.  Experiment is to see whether that lasts me the whole race.  I reckon it should - the very same fuelling lasted me about 20 miles on the White Rose 30 at a fairly decent clip, so 13 at a bit faster should be reet.

Pacing strategy:  Run faster than Tom and Andy.

I have no pacing strategy really, except for try and keep around 6min/mile.

Feed back on Sunday Night with how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment