Thursday 10 April 2014

Some random thoughts

There's a little bit of everything in this, well everything except for a race report.

It's the Highland Fling in a couple of weeks, it will be my first time up in Scotland.  Should be fun.  I have my last long run on Sunday, going on a bit of a tour of Kinder with a mate, with a sneaky couple of descents/ascents along the way.  Quite looking forward to it!

Last weekend, in order to fit things in with family life, I swapped my Saturday and Sunday sessions around.  A nice 18 mile run with about 3000ft of climb on the Saturday, which was nice.  Steady pace, ran all the hills, got it done in about 2:50 which I was quite pleased about - especially as I had McDonalds earlier that day and suffered a bit energy-wise on the run (you think I would have learned after the first time.  Or the second.  Or the third...).  Sunday was an 800m time trial, followed by 3x 300m then 4x 100m.  I was a bit slow on the 800, and a little slow on the first 300, the rest were bang on.  Hard work though, not recommended that way round!

Tuesday I was back up in the Peak District, doing a couple of different things.  First up was a stop in at the Accelerate Performance Centre getting my running analysed.  Took about an hour, a couple of sessions filmed on a treadmill, feet getting manipulated, walking movement checked.  Turns out I'm not the most efficient runner in the world (which I knew), but now have a plan to correct things, like my overstriding,  my inflexible big toes (which my feet somehow weirdly roll around) and a few other bits and pieces.  It will take a while, but I'm confident it will help.

Tuesday afternoon, was another session with Summit Fever Media.  I always enjoy my sessions with Matt and Ellie, am looking forward to dragging Matt out on a run on the next one!  It was the second filmed interview out of 3 in the lead up to the Ultra Tour of the Peak District, and this one was on nutrition.  Which got me thinking about nutrition, mostly because I never really do.  I probably can't call myself a serious ultrarunner because I'm a) not allowed to grow a beard, b) don't obsess over a paleo/vegan/HFLC/Insert acronym here diet and c) have never had a Chia seed. (Actually c is a lie. I did try a bar that contained chia after a race.  I can, and frequently do eat anything and everything after a race. I couldn't even finish a mouthful.  I had to find somewhere discreet and remove it.  God it was grim.)  My philosophy is generally that I run a bit, so I can eat whatever.  I did make a bit of a change in that I swapped from cereal to greek yoghurt for breakfast, but that's about it.  Raceday, however, is set.  A gel every 30 minutes, and 500ml of carb drink ever 2 hours (more or less depending on heat).  TORQ, of course. I cycle the gel flavours to keep the taste buds interested, and I generally avoid any of the dreaded "flat spots" and things like that.  It works for me, and is the end result of quite a few years of trial, some massive errors and reading about what other people do.  Will I ever change my diet?  Maybe.  If I get to a point where it's the only thing to change to improve then I will.  Until then, no.  Will I change my raceday plan?  No.  No intention of going down the "real food" route.  My body uses carbs as fuel, and the best way to get that back in is gels.

So after that (and a very nice coffee,and some hilarious discussion on Linseed oil partway through), I went for a trot from Hope, Lose Hill, Mam Tor (got filmed running - possibly shambling, it was stupidly windy up top, could barely stand up!) then back again.  I also took some pics (below)







 
I do quite like the "dramatic" filter.

I also received the rest of my prize - a pair of Mammut running shorts and jacket.  In blue.  Bright blue.  Which coincidentally match the blue bits on my x-talons, and the blue of my Mizunos.  Both of which I wore - the x-talons for the run, the Mizunos for the drive home.  I must have looked a right plonker.  Thing is though, they are brilliant to run in, really comfy and functional.  Just have to be careful not to wear them at the same time!


2 comments: